When we had our radio show one of the most frequent questions we received was about hosting a wine tasting party. We offer many different types of parties in our book, The Saucy Sisters Guide to Wine – What Every Girl Should Know Before She Unscrews. But regardless of the type of party you want to host, there are some basic guidelines for creating a successful party. So, here is our Saucy Sister checklist for hosting your own wine tasting.
- Choose a style of wine or a region that you’d like to focus on
- Stand-up, mingle and casual or sit-down and traditional?
- How many people? (one standard bottle will serve 12 people a 2-ounce pour)
- Select four to six different wines that represent your theme
- Prepare food pairings to compliment your wine choices
- Provide grading sheets and pens/pencils
- Select your stemware – something large enough to swirl (8 – 12 oz)
- Consider separate glasses for each wine or one glass with water for rinsing
- Provide sufficient dump buckets
- Provide water for hydrating
- Research the wines so you can talk about them with your guests
- As your guests arrive, serve them a glass of sparkling wine. The bubbly is always a welcome addition.
- Explain the basics of your tasting event
- Taste in order of dry to sweet and light to full-bodied
- Give your guests information about where to purchase the wines
- Serve more food, coffee or tea – or a taste of dessert wine.
Enjoy yourself and have fun with your personalized wine tasting party.
Barbara and Beverly